Monday, May 19, 2008

Variables

Since the post on May 15th (titled Experiment ideas), I have come to realise that I do not need to test each material with cold water as well as hot water. This is because the insulation is doing the same thing in each of the experiments - stopping the heat flow. So, it doesn't matter whether it is stopping the heat from getting in or getting out, it will be stopping the same amount of heat from getting through.

Instead, I am thinking of testing the materials by itself, and with two layers. This is because one material may not work very well on its own, but when there is two layers, it may work extremely well.

Also, I can combine two different layers together, and see whether is produces a better result. For instance, I can wrap the Pink Batts insulation around first, and then wrap the Thermakraft insulation foil. I can then compare that with the other combinations.

No comments: